Thursday, July 21, 2011

Granola Bar Goodness. . .


These are absolutely the best granola bars I've ever had in my life!!! One of my sisters sent me the recipe a while back. It called for Coconut Oil. I couldn't find that here so I substituted regular oil. They were just OK, but definitely not what I had eaten while at my sister's house. When we were home last, I picked up some Coconut Oil and now I am eating these things for breakfast, snacks and even dessert!! Other than the chocolate chips, they're full of great nutrition. They're so chewy, too! Ahhh, the perfect granola bar! I was pretty proud of myself because I actually made the almond butter from raw almonds (baked them for 16 minutes, threw them in the food processor for 7-8 minutes and !voila! almond butter!!)

Wanna try?

Chewy Homemade Granola Bars

1 c. almond butter (or peanut butter)

2/3 c. honey

1/2 c. coconut oil

Heat these on the stove until melted together.

Stir in:

3 c. oats (old-fashioned, not instant)

Turn off the heat and then stir in 2 c. of your choice of the following: chocolate chips, flaxseeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, nuts, coconut flakes, raisins, etc. (I use 1/2 c. chocolate chips and the rest flaxseeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds). Mix together and place in a 9x13 pan. Then I top them with a few more chocolate chips. Refridgerate for 2 hours. Cut into bars and wrap in saran wrap. Store in fridge. Yum.