Thursday, January 26, 2012

Play Dates. . .

Emma's taking a nap and I was sitting here thinking about how normal life has become here. So much so, that I forget how hard things used to be. I'm not intimidated to run into someone I recognize at the store. I can hold my own in a conversation and not be searching for excuses to run away. I can smile and talk and accept an invitation for a play date, knowing full well I'll actually go and not be scared.
Last week I ran into the mom of one of Emma's classmates. We were talking about how the kids miss their classmates and how fun it would be to get them together. She got my number and told me she'd call me for a play date on Wednesday. I was really looking forward to it, but I also had in the back of my mind that it probably wouldn't happen. It seems like Brazilians often have good intentions and don't always follow through. It was noon on Wednesday when I finally heard from the mom. (So Brazilian!) She said we could come over any time and that there were going to be other kids there. Emma was so excited! So, we went to Cris's house to play with Emma's friend Daniel, and three other kids showed up. I was secretly happy to know that the ones there all got along pretty well. Cris and I talked and talked before I realized that the other moms had dropped their kids off and left. It hit me that this was a play date just for the kids and the moms weren't really supposed to stay. I had been there for almost an hour before I figured it out. Were it any other parent, I might have chosen to stay, but there was a part of me that wanted to give Emma some independence. I think I've been much more protective of her simply because we're in a foreign country. Sometimes I forget that nothing about this place is foreign to her. It's the only home she can remember. So, I took a deep breath and told the mom that I was going to run some errands and that I'd be back shortly. I drove away and realized that I've never left Emma alone with a Brazilian family. It helped that I knew the parents, that they were both home, and that Emma was having a blast. It wasn't overwhelming or scary and I wasn't nervous. I've come a long way in the past few years!
I spent my time away helping another American mom with her kids while she unpacked boxes in their new home. I didn't worry about Emma at all, knowing that she'd be just fine. And fine she was. When I went to pick her up, she was sweaty from running around and couldn't wait to tell me all she had done while I was away. Cris had made popcorn and chocolate cupcakes and the kids helped her make the icing for the cupcakes. Then they went outside and had a picnic with terere', the cold, lemon-y, sugary, Brazilian drink that's served during the summer. I had planned to pick Emma up and leave, but Cris and I started talking and I didn't have anywhere to be, so we stayed until it was time to pick Kevin up from work. I enjoyed my time with Cris and Emma loved getting to play with her friends!
Yesterday morning, my friend Courtney and I went out for a walk, pushing Emma in the stroller (which was harder than I thought - she's a big girl, and I'm almost 37 weeks)! While we were out, we ran into another mom, one of our old neighbors. She invited us over for the afternoon. I told her I needed to run to another town to pick something up, but that we could come over after. She said she'd just keep Emma while I ran my errand. So yesterday, after lunch, we went to Vanucia's house and Emma got to play with her friend, Murilo. I ended up staying for over 2 hours before leaving to run my errand. I was gone for about an hour and then went back to visit for another hour. Emma spent the entire afternoon with Murilo. They rode bikes and scooters, swam in his little pool, ate pao de queijo, drank terere', and giggled a ton. Toward the end of my time there, another mom stopped by to sit and chat. (Side note: Brazilians are really good and just sitting and chatting. It used to drive me nuts because I thought they should be busy doing something. Now I've realized they are doing something. People are important. Taking time for people is important. Sitting and chatting is important.) Anyway, while the other mom was there, she listened to Emma playing with the kids and said it's amazing that Emma speaks Portuguese without an accent. I know she can speak the language, but it's interesting to hear that she speaks it as if she were a native. I love hearing her play with her Brazilian friends. I love that she's so comfortable here. I love that we've all become so comfortable here.
I mostly wanted to write about those two afternoons so I can look back and remember that we built a life here. We didn't just get by and survive; we made this little town our home. It's 2012 and we're pretty sure we'll be moving back to the U.S. later this year, although we still have no idea when that will be. Sometimes it's easy for me to think that we're moving "home", but where we are right now is home.
In about three weeks, more or less, we're going to welcome a little baby girl into our family. She'll be born here in Brazil and this country will forever be a part of our family. Granted, she won't have any memories of her time here, but I'm sure her big sister will enjoy sharing all her memories of Brazilian life with her. I think I'm going to be slightly attached to this place. I'm going to be sad to leave here. It's not time yet, so I won't dwell on it. When the time comes, I know I'll be ready, but I'm glad that I know it'll be hard. I think that means we made the most of our time here. That makes me happy.