Monday, July 15, 2013

Nymphenburg Palace (near Munich). . .

The land around the Nymphenburg Palace was given by the Bavarian ruler Ferdinand Maria to his Italian wife Henriette Adelaide. He was grateful that, after ten years of trying, they were blessed with a male heir. The wife built a palace and then the son expanded it to what it is today. There were incredibly huge stables, beautiful landscaping, small lakes, a canal, gardens, and of course, the palace itself. 
Picture: Nymphenburg palace complex, aerial photograph
This is the entrance that leads to the king's wing and the queen's wing, as well as the Great Hall where the parties were held.
The ceiling of the Great Hall. . .
This was the queen's bed. It's a nice room, but I think I'm much happier sharing my room with my husband!
Below is the Gallery of Beauties of King Ludwig. Apparently, he had someone commissioned to paint a series of beautiful royal women. From there, women from all classes of society were then painted. The Gallery is in the King's Wing. Really? Because I'd love my husband to look at other beautiful women before he goes to sleep in his own bed.
The Great Hall. . .
Picture: Nymphenburg Palace, Great Hall
It really was quite an amazing room. There were incredible paintings and tall mirrors and beautiful chandeliers. It was just eye-pleasing.
Palaces are just kind of weird to me, in addition to being really amazing. I mean, there was so much poverty and the daily struggle to make ends meet for so many people, and then there were castles and palaces with gold just spilling down the walls, almost literally. I wonder how great the difference was between the haves and have-nots. Nothing about the palace lifestyle made me want to ever live in a palace. I'll keep my home and bed that I share with my husband, thank you:) 

No comments: