Thursday, July 25, 2013

Rothenburg Hotel Gastehaus-Raidel. . .

I've decided I like old, unique homes that have been turned into hotels. This one was one of my favorites ever! It was a 500-year old house filled with furniture made mostly by the current owner. After Kevin booked the place, I read a review from Rick Steves that said the place made him want to sing the Addams Family theme song. I wasn't excited to step foot in there, but I disagreed with Mr. Steves. I loved the ambiance of the house. The owner was a sweet older man, Mr. Raidel himself. He served us breakfast with coffee and humbly answered our questions about his amazing furniture.
This is where we ate breakfast. I loved the decor and the structure of the home. The beams are original, although some updates have been made in some areas. The benches and tables were built by the owner. The breakfast room was also his workshop.
The nook where we sat for breakfast used to be outside the home and held the well for the city.
This was a sitting area on the third floor where our room was. The furniture was beautiful!
Our room. . .
The view from our little window. . .
Before we left, Mr. Raidel graciously showed us his living quarters. We were so interested in him and his home that I think he felt like sharing something more private. He apologized for the mess, but took us into his living room anyway. A friend of his created the art on the wall, the musicians coming to life, holding real instruments.
The stairs lead to his bedroom. The grand piano is just a decoration. Just a decoration. It's very old and doesn't hold a tune. Mr. Raidel was so sweet. I'd definitely stay there again, although I'm not sure we'll ever return to the walled city. We're glad we visited though.

No comments: