Sunday, October 6, 2013

Wall, South Dakota. . .

After my BIX7 race, I quickly showered and then we hit the road for our Yellowstone vacation. I thought I'd be incredibly sore after the race, but it wasn't so bad. We drove for about eleven hours that day and stayed in Wall, South Dakota, at the Frontier Cabins.
Emma loved the fake animals outside the cabins. We didn't spend a lot of time there. We pretty much slept, showered and ate breakfast before hitting the road again.
This was such an interesting place to stay. We had our own cabin to stay in and each cabin had a private parking space next to it. We slept well and then awoke the next morning and went to the main office for breakfast. I'd stay there again, for sure.
Until we were planning this vacation, I don't think I had ever heard about Wall Drug. Wall was a convenient town to stay in and we just had to visit the famous drugstore before we headed on west. If you're interested in the history of the place, it's a short read http://www.walldrug.com/t-history.aspx. Neat story, I thought.
By far, this was Emma's favorite little shop. We gave her $3 to spend and she spent about 15 minutes adding and subtracting and picking and choosing her precious stones. The girl loves rocks! She was absolutely thrilled with her purchases, which totalled up to $2.90. Pretty impressive for her age, I thought! I loved watching her choose wisely and she was just so happy with the experience!
While it was a fun experience, I'm not sure I'll ever need to revisit Wall Drug Store.
A store with junk galore! That was my take on the place.
Wall Drug even has its own little chapel!
I love the word Apothecary. It's a new discovery. I think old apothecary shoppes are neat.
Emma was pretty excited about all the photo opps at Wall Drug!
It was her idea, not mine!
Awkward, weird rabbit picture.
This girl loves her daddy!!
Emma was fascinated with the bison. After we read that these are actually bison and not buffalo, she would correct me every time I said the wrong word!
I imagine this is what Laura looked like when she rode with Pa in their wagon heading west!
This is as far as we made it visiting the Badlands. It just didn't fit into our day and we weren't sure how far we'd have to travel to see some amazing landscape. We took a quick picture and then headed west to visit Mount Rushmore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buffalo and Bison are the same thing! I believe the Buffalo's scientific name is Bison Bison! :)
Beautiful pictures of a wonderful family, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Nope! The child is correct that there are no buffalo in the Americas! Buffalo live in Africa and Asia.

http://www.livescience.com/32115-bison-vs-buffalo-whats-the-difference.html