Thursday, September 30, 2010

Labor Day at the Nikkel's. . .

Cousins Alison and Ashley
Livi and Emma in the flowers

Lori (33), me (30), Chris (49), Lianne (39)
Labor Day was great. Lori and I drove down to Denver with the girls so we could hang out with Lianne. We hired Alison and Ashley to babysit the sleeping girls and the three of us headed out for some shopping and Starbuck's. I can't remember the last time I got to do something fun like that with my sisters. Not recently, anyway! One of the most memorable moments of that day was when we were standing in line at Starbuck's. The barista (or is it baristo?) looked at me. Then he looked at Lianne. Then he looked at Lori. Then he did it all over again. Finally he said, "Are you guys by chance related?" Dark hair, blue eyes, Duell-shaped heads, butt-chins. . . is it that obvious?? I think that moment made such an impression on me because I am proud to be related to those girls! In a way, his comment made me feel like I was part of a really special group, people who I admire and love. I wish I could describe it better. It was neat for me. Well, we left Starbuck's and walked around a new shopping area close to Lianne's home. We didn't buy anything, but I just had a really good time hanging out with my sisters. I haven't lived in the same town, or state for that matter, as one of my sisters for over ten years. Spending time like that together doesn't happen often and it was really special for me.
That evening, Jeff grilled chicken for everyone. Chris and Brian came down from Windsor and we had another little Duell-sibling get-together. Lori made an awesome cream puff dessert and Emma ran around with Livi and Alison and Ashley. It was Monday night. I was scheduled to leave Wednesday. My emotions were a little high. I knew my time with family was limited to another 36 hours and I was sad. I was also happy and grateful for the time we had. And, I was looking forward to seeing Kevin!!
Before we left to drive back to Ft. Collins, the four of us sat down for a picture. It's always funny to me when 4 or 5 of us are in a picture together. Seems like a lot of sisters, but with ten girls and five boys in the family, the picture never feels quite complete! I wasn't thinking for most of the trip and didn't take pictures of all the siblings I was able to see: 13 of the 14!!