Monday, October 18, 2010

Parade in HZT. . .

September 20 was a very important holiday here. Dia do Gauchos. The people of this state celebrate their heritage and they are very proud of it. They don't just celebrate once a year. On any given day, we can walk around town and see the men dressed in their gaucho gear. I love it.
Very gaucho


This man carried the torch. During the week of festivities, the torch is carried from town to town around our region. He was was happy to do his job!

Horizontina firetruck (for real, not an antique)
I love this picture. This man is clearly proud of his heritage, but he was also happy to have his cell phone with him so he could take pictures. Poetic.

And the kids. . .
The guy playing the accordian is my favorite. I saw him last year and he was just as happy this year!
I wanted to take this little boy home with me! He was so adorable!

Parades here are unlike any I've been to in the States. There's no candy for the kids. . . the parade is actually about the people in the parade, not the crowd. Floats aren't very common and the ones they do have are minimal. There are no bands (at least not in the small town parades). We had fun though. Emma loved the pretty dresses the girls were wearing and I just enjoyed watching the people of my little town celebrate something so important to them.