Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chá-de-bebê (Baby Tea). . .

The first Saturday in March, the American ex-pat wives gave me a baby shower for Adri. A year ago, there were no other American women here with me and although I loved my Brazilian friends, I was really lonely for some American girlfriends. I have been amazed over the last several months at the love I've felt from the women who have moved to little Horizontina. There are now six other wives here. Five of them have children. Now I have girlfriends and other moms to connect with. I look back on the time before they all came and I wonder how I made it! Seriously, I can't even begin to find the words to express how grateful I am that these women are here at this time. I remember learning at some point that oftentimes people come into your life for a season and sometimes they come to stay. My days have become more full now and I'm just happy that God brought each of these girls here. What a blessing they have been to me.
So, check out the food and fun they showered us with!! I love this baby carriage. Sue, the gal who made it, had never made a watermelon carriage before, but I'd say she was successful! The Brazilian salgadinhos and doces were great, as were the homemade chocolate and banana cakes that Tami made. Courtney took my baby favors and made Adri's name with the jars (love it!). Sarah, Jill, Gwen, Tami, Sue and Courtney. . . what an incredible blessing and encouragement you have been in my life! Thank you for loving on our family (all of us) and for making Adri's birth even more special!
Sue with Adri, rocking her to sleep

Deborah and Marcia (and Fernanda in the back), three Brazilian friends. Marcia is the owner of the language school where Kevin and I learned to speak Portuguese.

Luci, my very first language teacher

Since I had all of Emma's hand-me-down clothes, I told the girls I didn't really want a bunch of new clothes for Adri. Honestly, I also don't think the Brazilian baby clothes are very cute! So when Courtney sent out the invitations, she asked that people bring a baby book in Portuguese. I love books. Love, love, love them because I love reading to Emma and now to Adri. Since she is considered a Brazilian citizen, I want her to know the language and some of the history of her birth country. I'm so excited to read all the books to her and Emma. I think it'll also help me keep up on the language when we return to the U.S., if nothing else, at a toddler level!!

Karin, my last language teacher, recently moved to Porto Alegre with her family. She wasn't able to make it to the shower, but she made Adri this blanket and sent it with a friend. I love it! It's so soft and snuggly. Homemade blankets are awesome!

My friend Cris, the mom of one of Emma's classmates, made Emma and Adri matching pillows. They're made with different material, but they're both soft, squishy, butterfly pillows! I think these are the first thing they have that matches! Fun stuff!

Sue and her daughter Josie, holding Adri

The ladies below are Brazilians, except for Jill in the black and white top. Cris (Emma's classmate's mom), Fernanda (wife of Ivan, one of my language teachers), Julie (a new language teacher at the school), Jill (moved here in January with her two girls and husband - a native Brazilian), Marcia, Vanessa (wife of one of Kevin's colleagues) and standing in the back, Deborah. At one point during the shower, I looked around to see the Americans and Brazilians chatting away, sometimes in English, but mostly in Portuguese. I'm so proud of all the American women for trying to learn the language. It's not easy. Brazilians are so patient and helpful with us, though. It was neat for me to see my friends having a good time, speaking whatever language happened to work! I just really enjoyed the several hours we were all together.

Monica, my friend and masseuse. She had a baby girl at the end of January. I hadn't seen her since the day after her daughter was born, so it was fun to see her show up!

Typical of here, the shower was over almost four hours after it started!! Adri was passed around the entire time and other than waking to nurse once, she slept the afternoon away. Emma was the recipient of some very fun gifts, thanks to thoughtful friends. She kept busy coloring and checking on her sister from time to time. Kevin picked us up and we went home with tons of books, gifts, and leftover food from the shower. I just sat on the couch with him, telling him about how loved I felt and how I certainly didn't expect anyone to do anything for us, but wow! Like I said, I can't really find the words to convey what's in my heart. Thank you God for providing the perfect people at the perfect time, including our little Adri Ann. We feel blessed.