Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Run With Carl. . .

Run With Carl is an annual Labor Day race here in Bettendorf. 19 years ago, a PV high school runner was killed. This race is in memory of him.
I ran the 5K and had my best race ever! The course was fun and challenging. Almost half of it was along the Duck Creek bike path, so it was peaceful and beautiful. There really weren't that many runners and at times I felt like I was running alone! Several high school runners sped past me but it was fun to run with some of them. I felt younger than my years:)
Emma ran the 1/2 mile race for kids. She was up very early but she was so excited for her second race of the year. I was able to run with her for part of the race and tried to encourage her to keep running. It was a tough run for her with two big hills, but once she crossed the finish line and was given her medal, she was ecstatic and said she wants to run every race that she can! Later, as we were driving to IHOP to celebrate, she said, "Mom, that was a really hard race, but I'm so glad I did it!" I was able to tell her that most of my practice runs and races are challenging, but I never regret doing them afterward.
Emma's at the back, on the right. Part of the reason I posted this picture is because it captures the craziness of a kids' race. Check out the kid in orange, on the front left. He tripped and fell, rolled at least three times and jumped up and kept running!! I probably would have laid on the ground and cried. I was inspired!
Kevin and Adri me us after Emma's race and then I ran. Because it was Labor Day, Kevin was home for the day. We decided to celebrate at IHOP with some awesome eggs and pancakes! Mmmm.

No comments: