Saturday, June 4, 2011

Easter in Moundridge. . .


Great Grandparents Anne and Milo and Great Grandma Hilda







Getting to spend Easter Sunday with family just felt really good. We went to church together in the morning and then had aunts, uncles, cousins and great-grandparents over for lunch. While I wish I could say I remembered the sermon from that Sunday morning, I can't. A family with two children sat behind us and the last place those kids wanted to be on Easter Sunday was in a pew. Threats were made over and over by the parents, but the kids just wanted to be free and were very vocal about it. Over halfway through the service, the father finally said, "If you don't stop misbehaving, I'm going to kill the Easter bunny!" He ended up taking one of the kids out for the rest of the service. Shortly after we walked out, I turned to Kevin and his mom and said, "Did he say what I think I heard him say??" We all confirmed that yep, he really did threaten to kill the Easter bunny! Nice.

There were several highlights of the morning. Emma went to the front of the church with her grandma to hear the children's story. She learned a new song that she still sings two months later! At the end of the service, Emma went back to the front with Kevin to be a part of the "Hallelujah Chorus". Every year, at the end of the Easter service, anyone who wants to sing with the choir can join them. It wasn't until afterward that I realized Kevin, his grandfather, his father, and our daughter were all singing. Kind of a neat moment to have four generations together. I took Emma to Sunday school and she loved hearing the children's story and doing the craft afterward. I used to teach Sunday school for 3- and 4-year olds. It's such a fun age and they're usually great listeners. I'm looking forward to the day when Emma gets to go to Sunday school with other little kids. She loves doing Bible crafts here at home, so I'm sure she'll love actually getting to go on a regular basis!!

Emma didn't mind that there were no other kids to play with after lunch. She had a great time with her grandparents and great-grandparents. A few nights earlier, Kevin's cousin Jody came over with her three kids and Emma got to run around and play with them. She loved it!

Emma and I ended up leaving Moundridge on that Sunday and we drove to my dad's. We made a long stop in Hays and found birthday goodies for Emma's birthday party that we were planning. I realized while driving along I-70 how much I miss the interstate and how beautiful western Kansas is. There's really not much to see, but I know the area so well and something about familiarity is beautiful. Between Kansas City and Denver, only occasional small towns line the interstate (with the exception of Salina and Hays, which are bigger towns). I set the cruise control, something that never happens on the Brazilian highways, and had some fun conversations with Emma as we headed west. I'm so glad she likes to travel as much as I do. The four-hour drive seemed so short and before I knew it, we were past Goodland and pulling into Ruleton.