Monday, July 15, 2013

Wieskirche (Church in the Meadow). . .

Pilgrimage Church of the Scourged Savior
"It is absolutely not possible to make a visit of the church during the church service." Oops. I didn't read the web page before we made the stop.
This was not the best stop on our drive, but it was in the tour guide book and we were going right past it, so I felt we needed to check it off the list. Unfortunately, it's kind of a sore subject of our trip:)
Kevin waited in the car while I ran in to catch a glimpse of the inside. I took a few quick pictures and then ran out. It wasn't until I looked up the history of the church that I realized I shouldn't have taken pictures, nor should I have even gone in. It was a holiday and there were several hundred people in there worshipping. Again, oops.
The paintings on the ceiling were incredible, at least what I saw in my few seconds inside the church. I can't even imagine the time and effort that went into creating this masterpiece.
One of the reasons this church is so famous is because it holds the statue of Jesus that was said to have wept. In 1738, it is said that tears were seen on the dilapidated wooded figure of the Scourged Saviour. Later, the church was constructed and people from all over the world came to worship here. Some were said to have been healed miraculously of their diseases. I didn't get close enough to see the statue.

No comments: