Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dancing with Cinderella. . .


She spins and she sways to whatever song plays,
Without a care in the world.
And I'm sittin' here wearin' the weight of the world on my shoulders.
It's been a long day and there's still work to do,
She's pulling at me saying, "Dad I need you!
There's a ball at the castle and I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancin'"
"Oh please, daddy, please!"
So I'll dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I'll dance with Cinderella
I don't wanna miss even one song,
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone. . .
~Steven Curtis Chapman's "Cinderella"
We play this song in our home several times a week. Emma floats around the room in her pretty pink and blue dresses, singing, "Please, Daddy, please!" and I hold back the tears (most of the time), while she dances with her daddy. Sometimes he holds her, sometimes she stands on his feet. He is her prince and she adores him. There are more verses to the song, but I'm not ready for those. I'm enjoying that she's here, with us, knowing full well that one day, the man of her dreams will come to sweep her off her feet. . . and she'll be gone.
It's incredibly beautiful to me, watching my daughter dance with the man I love and trust more than I ever thought possible. Her adoration for him grows every day, as does mine. The other night we were sitting on the couch, missing home, and Kevin said he was thankful he was here with Emma and me, and I thought, There's not another person in this world I'd rather be on this couch with. There's no one else I'd rather be walking this journey with, especially when it's challenging and difficult.
Between Gigi and those other princesses, Emma's really starting to enjoy her new role as Princess Emma. We've been asking her, "What does Princess Emma think about that? Hmm?" and then she responds with the same question, only in a higher voice, and she hides her face. She's still a little shy about her new role as Princess. Emma Jae, you are a sweet princess!
(PS - If you have a daughter and don't know this song, you need to. It's amazing.)

5 comments:

Mollie said...

You write the sweetest & most touching things!! I am crying right now!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I seriously tear up every time I hear that song. It's too heartbreaking thinking about my girls growing up so fast!
~Jody

Karla said...

I absolutely adore it Sandi. You guys are beautiful.

Julie said...

We play that song frequently as well--and Zach and I decided that Mallory would dance with him to that at her wedding! Aren't we nice? :) Determining what songs she using at her wedding! I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Try listening to Steven Curtis Chapman singing that song @ the Dove's, almost a year after he lost his little girl. Not a dry eye in the place. So heartbreaking, but eye opening that God has let us borrow these children and entrusts us to raise them in His love and truth. You're doing an awesome job sis! I'm so proud of you :)