Monday, September 21, 2009

Farroupilha. . .

Gaúchos, in traditional clothing, watch the parade

Proud of their heritage

Emma loved the girls in pretty dresses

I felt like the man with the acordian should have been drunk. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. He just reminded me of the Friar from Robin Hood. The woman on the right is holding the chimarrão, a traditional drink here in the southern state of Rio Grande do Sul. However, the drink is not just for the parade, it's a necessity for life here! Not a day goes by, unless I stay inside, that I don't see several people holding their drinks. It's crazy. I've never seen anything that compares to this tradition. Every day, several times per day, people will be drinking out of their cuias, the cup that holds the tea-like drink. That'll be another post though. It's worth a whole post on its own!
From 1835 to 1845, our state, Rio Grande do Sul, was involved in a Revolutionary war, called the Farroupilha's Revolution. It was the longest civil war in Brazilian history. There was no winner; there was no loser. The gaúchos are most compared to the cowboys of America, but with very distinct differences. Tradition is thick here. The citizens of Horizontina are very proud of their heritage and they celebrate it with great joy. Although I enjoy witnessing the traditions and culture of this state, I feel like such an outsider. It's not a really bad feeling. I just know that I have no idea how deep the love for their country runs. I have an idea, but it's so different being from the States. I suppose a Brazilian would experience the same feelings were he to witness our massive fireworks celebrations on the Fourth of July. Just a thought. I'm not even sure it compares. Like I said, I just don't think I really understand. It's pretty neat though.
So on Sunday morning, September 20th, we went to the center of town for the small parade. We felt strangely in and out of place, with our soccer-mom chairs, American clothing, sans a chimarrão in hand, and English words. It was fun though. We were pleasantly surprised that the parade did not involve the parade participants throwing candy to the crazy, sugar-highed kids on the curbs. Oh wait, there weren't any of those kids around! It was nice that the parade was about the people in the parade, not about how full the onlookers could stuff their bags!! Emma enjoyed watching the horses, especially the foals. However, what she remembers most from the parade is the horse poop. As she said, "It was huge!" and gross. Today we were looking at pictures from the parade and I told her to look at the big horse. I about fell out of my chair laughing when she said, "Mommy, the horse is going to bend over and someone is going to wipe him!" Oh dear, she's going to hate me for recording all the funny things she says! On that note. . .

No comments: