Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Year's Eve and Boxers. . .

On New Year's Eve Day, we went out to eat with my dad and brother. While we were waiting for our food, a familiar face appeared. I had one of the greatest conversations with Sara Rice during the next ten minutes. Sara is from Goodland and was in my sister Janette's class. She married a man from Goodland, but now they live in Moundridge (of all places) and she knows Kevin's mom quite well. We laughed and joked about the "medicine" she had suggested his mom experiment with. . . the same "medicine" that made us laugh so hard while at his parents' house. We talked about the grace and forgiveness of God and how amazed we are at the journey we're on now! I love hearing about the amazing things that happen in people's lives. Talking to her was really refreshing and fun.

We had a great time on New Year's Eve. In part because we were in bed before 10:30pm, but mostly because we got to spend time with two of my brothers. Daniel and Karen raise Boxer pups and had a few for Emma to play with. Some day we might just own one of those little guys. Emma really enjoyed petting the puppies and holding them too.

Check out the massive flower on Emma's head. She and her cousin Jessi had fun playing together all evening!

Another cute pup. . .
Daniel roasted some meat that I thought was absolutely incredible! They also made some corn that they had frozen from the fall crop, baked potatoes and garlic bread! It was an amazing meal that still makes my mouth water! After dinner, we talked while the kids played. My brother Doug and his wife Kim left shortly after dinner. While the adults were watching the New Year's celebrations on TV, Jessi started reading to Emma. I thought it was pretty cute to watch them together, but I didn't realize what a big deal it was for Daniel and Karen. Then Daniel shared that Jessi hadn't really been interested in reading and was having trouble reading in school. I never would have known! After hearing that, I kept praising Jessi by telling her what a great job she was doing and how happy she was making Emma. I loved watching her face light up and her bashful grin. I hope Emma can read to her little cousins someday too!
I'm not sure if it's our age or the fact that we'd just been running non-stop for two weeks, but it just wasn't worth it to us to stay up until midnight. We were so happy to go to bed early that night!! Happy New Year!!