Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Brother is Awesome. . .

We drove out to western Kansas and walked in the front door of my childhood home to be welcomed by my dad and. . .

. . . my brother David. If this doesn't make you smile or laugh or be happy in some sort of way, I'm not sure what will. Is it even possible to look at him without smiling?? He mentioned he was just trying to get into the holiday spirits! I wish I could have gone more places with him just so I could have seen reactions from people. About a week earlier, Dave decided to buy a hair-dying kit and dye his beard. I love this man! I remember a time during junior high when I was playing at a friend's house with several other girls. We were jumping on their trampoline and suddenly she said, "Guys, don't look now, but there's a really scary guy in my driveway!" Of course I had to look. I took quick glance over my shoulder and then turned fully toward him and said, "That's not a scary man. That's my brother Dave!" We laugh about it to this day! I supposed his look today might classify as a bit scary, but I thought it was hilarious!
At this point, Emma wasn't too sure about Uncle Dave, but it sure didn't take her long! After less than half a day, she was giving him hugs and asking where he was if he'd left the room!
The look-alike, Yukon Cornelius (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, 1964)