Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Just the Girls. . .

Barbara, Sandi, Mollie and Diana
Fernanda, Suzan, Luci and Marcia
Last Friday night I went to Barbara's house for a girls night. Other than Mollie and Barbara, the other women are Brazilians. Fernanda is the fiance of my Portuguese teacher. Suzan is one of the secretaries at our language school. Luci was my first teacher here (a year ago) and now she's teaching Kevin the language. Marcia and her husband own the language school and she also teaches. Diana is another secretary at the school. All these women are so sweet and very funny. They love to laugh, which made it a fun evening!
We had a lot of food, a lot of laughs and we spoke a LOT of Portuguese! I've realized lately how comfortable I am in situations where no English is involved. Even if I can't understand every word, I can at least understand the topic and most points of the conversation. I still have to focus to understand people when they speak really fast, but it's getting easier.
While I was out with the girls, Kevin put Emma to bed and invited Stan (Barbara's husband) over for a movie. When I came home at 1am, he was in bed and we were both exhausted! We're not used to staying up so late, but it was worth it!

Barbara went crazy-overboard and made enough snacks to count for dinner! Kevin had ordered pizza so I ate a few pieces before I went to Barbara's. Then I ate a bit of everything in the picture and then some!! I made the filling for Oreo Cheesecake and put it in tiny chocolate cups that I had found at a store. I ate a few of those, too. Needless to say, I was cheia, or full!! It was really good for me to get out and spend time with other women. I haven't done a lot of that since I moved here, so I really enjoyed Friday night.