Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hiking with Sarah. . .

On the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, Emma and I drove to the Denver airport to pick up my friend Sarah. We drove back to Ft. Collins without a second of silence. That's usually how it is with us. There's never a moment of awkwardness or silence, no matter how long it's been since we've seen each other! We dropped Emma off for a nap at Lori's, changed our shoes, continued to talk and went for a long walk. Later that night we went out for an extravagant dessert at the Chocolate Cafe downtown. As incredible as the dessert was, being able to sit across the table from a very dear friend of mine was so much better! When we're together, we don't just talk about the weather (or ever for that matter). We talk about life. We share our hearts in a way that's not so easy to do on a regular basis anymore. Sarah makes me want to know the heart of God. She makes me want to dig deeper and throw off the fakeness and really love people. She's good at that. She's good at listening and loving and just being an amazing woman and friend!
After Emma and Livi were in bed, Lori and Dustin went out with some friends and Sarah and I sat on the back patio and talked some more. The next morning, we woke up and drove to the foothills, just west of Ft. Collins. We hiked partway up the Horsetooth trail, but because of time, we didn't go all the way to the top. We did get to see an incredble view, though. Again, the view was awesome, but the company was even better!
Before I knew it, our time together was over and we were driving back to the airport. Sarah flew back to North Carolina and I drove back to Lori's. It was just a 24-hour visit, but it was awesome. I'm so thankful we were able to see each other! My heart was happy and full when she left.