Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Songs. . .

Emma's two favorite songs in Portuguese:
Atirei o Pau no Gato
Atirei o pau no gato, to', to'
Mas o gato, to', to'
Nao morreu, reu, reu
Dona Chica', ca'
Admirou-se, se
Do berro, do berro que o gato deu:
Miau!!

English translation:
I threw a stick at the cat, cat, cat
But the cat didn't die, die, die
Dona Chica' (as in Francesca)
Admired the cat's yell:
Meow!!

and the other favorite. . .
Borboletinha
Borboletinha ta' na cozinha
Fazendo chocolate para a madrinha
Poti, poti
Perna de pau
Olho de vidro
E nariz de pica-pau, pau, pau

English translation:
Little butterfly in the kitchen
Making chocolate for the godmother
Poti, poti (nobody can translate this to English for me)
Wooden leg
Glass eye
And nose of the woodpecker

Seems like most nights I go to bed with those songs rolling around in my mind. The tunes are real catchy. . . it's the translation of the words that bothers me. Who wrote those songs and what were they smoking??