Thursday, May 12, 2011

Brothers. . .

Dad and my brothers. . .

Back: David(age 46), Fred(52), Daniel(38)

Front: Doug(53), Dad(80), Benjamin(30)



Wrestling has always been a huge part of our family. When I was a little girl, I always wanted to be a wrestler. I could never beat my little brother, but I was willing to try!! I've always loved wrestling meets and tournaments. When I was in high school, my dad was the radio color commentator for the high school wrestling tournaments. When I wasn't playing in a basketball game, I would travel with him to the tournaments and fill out the brackets to help him. I loved listening to him on the radio, but it was even better to sit next to the mat during the matches!



I'm pretty sure none of these moves are really legal, except in the Duell family. Seems like it's just natural for my brothers to grapple and see who can end up the winner! I love watching them!


My brother Doug, in the front on the left, was the first 4-time State Champion Wrestler in the state of Kansas. I'm so proud of that, but I wasn't even born when he won his 4th title his senior year of high school!! In fact, I wasn't even born when he wrestled in college, at Oklahoma State Universtiy! He and my brother Fred both wrestled there. I was born when Fred was a junior in college! I vaguely remember Daniel wrestling in high school and college, but even then, I was young. I vividly remember Benjamin wrestling in high school. We're only twelve months apart in age, one school year, and I made it to as many meets of his as I could. Mmm. . . I can still smell the sweat of the wrestlers if I close my eyes and breathe deeply. It's such a gagging smell, salty, sweaty wrestlers!

Wrestling is in my blood. Maybe not as much as it's in my brother's blood, but it's there. It doesn't cause me to do crazy things like this in public. . .




. . . but it's there! Oh, how I love my brothers!!!