Friday, May 13, 2011

Dad's 80th Birthday. . .

My dad and his wife Barbara were married about a year after my mom died. I'm thankful he has someone to share his life with. He and my mom were married almost 48 years, so being alone was very difficult for him.




My sister Lianne makes the most amazing cakes!! The taste is incredible - so soft and moist and the icing-to-cake ratio is perfect! I always end up eating more than my fair share!


Dad prides himself on being friendly with everyone. He's never afraid to strike up a conversation with a stranger and he usually finds something to laugh about. This woman wasn't a stranger, but an old friend. It's fun to see my dad laugh with people.





Yummmm. . .


We had an open house in Burlington for my dad's birthday party. Afterward, everyone in the family drove north to my sister Sharon's house and we had a barbeque. Her house is perfect for hosting family get-togethers. For the last few years, we've celebrated Thanksgiving there. Adults and kids sit where they can find an open space.


We had a time of sharing after we ate. It started out with some of my siblings sharing reasons they were thankful for my dad. I really enjoyed hearing everyone share. Somehow we ended up sharing stories about growing up. We laughed and laughed, until someone shared a story about me. It was the first time I had ever heard it. Apparently, when I was a baby my parents left me on the bed in a hotel room and left. They forgot me! I've heard stories about other siblings being left places, but I didn't know it had ever happened to me. In a family our size, it was bound to happen. Dad said he had a way of knowing who was missing. After church every Sunday, he would take us to Dairy Queen and order ice cream cones. He'd pass them out and if there was one leftover, he knew someone had been left at church! We all learned pretty quickly that when Dad said he was leaving, he meant it, and we'd better get our butts to the van!


I don't think my brother meant to impersonate my father, but this is how my dad makes a point. He holds his finger up and shakes it as if he's trying to drive home the truth of what he's saying.



After an evening of food, stories and laughs, we prayed for my dad. Everyone who's seen this picture thinks he and Barbara are sleeping. He's 80, so that's very likely, but no, they're actually praying.






It was a very fun day overall! I was exhausted from all the traveling we had done the previous few days, but it was so great to see all my siblings and most of my nephews and nieces. It was very convenient for Kevin and me especially. We got to see everyone and we didn't have to drive all over tarnation to do it!