Thursday, November 7, 2013

On the Road Again. . .

Because apparently driving from here to Montana and back wasn't enough, two days after we returned from Yellowstone, I packed our bags again and headed to western Kansas, leaving Kevin behind. Instead of trying to be Super Woman, I decided to split the trip up and stay the night with my brother in Manhattan. We got up and headed to Moundridge the next morning. My trip to Goodland was intended to be a work trip so I wanted to be available to do some real work while I was there. Occasionally, my siblings will head to my dad's house and clean or paint or just fix things that need fixing. Marcy was available, so I decided to leave Adri with her so that I could be more free to work.
The girls were so excited to visit their grandparents. Adri found a great place to view the kittens.
Emma got her kitty fix. Since I'm dead set on never owning a cat, I try to give her opportunities to love on the furry critters. This one was one of her favorites from earlier in the summer. Happy girl she was!!
Emma and I left Adri and drove to my dad's house. Emma had plenty of cousin time while I spent hours cleaning and hauling rocks. My sister Jane had decided to landscape around my dad's house to make it easier for him to mow. He's 82 years old. He probably shouldn't be mowing, but he does. Now it'll be easier!
Crazy cousins! As of earlier this year, there are now 55 grandchildren!! Emma and Adri have 53 cousins on my side of the family! Insane.
Another reason I wanted to go home was to see my brother Daniel. Earlier this year, Daniel's daughter was diagnosed with FAP, a hereditary disease that causes hundreds to thousands of polyps to form on the colon. She's 16 years old. Shortly after she was diagnosed, my brother found out that he also has the disease. Both my niece and my brother had their entire colons taken out and are doing very well now. In August, my brother was having a rough time and I wanted to go see him and help him if there was a need. Giving him a massage was about all I did, but it was so good to see him. He had lost a lot of weight from the surgery and was still recovering, but he was feeling so much better than he had been a few weeks prior.
My family is weird. As my sister Jane and I are massaging my brother to make him feel better, he's holding a fly-killing gun, ready to shoot at the next one to come near him! I was happy to be in my childhood home and thankful that I had the opportunity to go!!

No comments: