Friday, July 26, 2013

Our German Ride. . .

I can't remember if I posted this or not, but if I did, well, here it is again! It's that important to me:)
Kevin and I have always talked about owning a Mini Cooper. We were so excited to get it as our rental car for our final few days in Germany! It was compact and certainly didn't keep up with the BMWs and Audis on the Autobahn! It actually felt like it might have fallen apart when we were driving 150kph. By we, I mean, Kevin. I drove it the first day and didn't go above 130kph. I'm safe like that, you know. Anyway, we had fun living our dream of driving around in a Mini. We've seen The Italian Job one too many times. Both of us wanted to drive crazy-like, but we're too responsible, I guess! Rather than own a Mini someday, I think I'll just check it off my list that I've actually driven one! I was really just proud that I could drive a manual car in a foreign country on the Autobahn!!
We left Heidelberg and drove on to Frankfurt. After an amazing dinner of Marguerita pizza, Kevin dropped me off at the hotel and left for Zweibrucken where he worked for two more days. I flew out the next morning and enjoyed some alone time during the flight and long layover in Dallas. I read, drank a lot of coffee, ate a leisurely meal alone, slept and then met a Brazilian college student who happened to be moving to Manhattan for school. We talked for a half hour before boarding our flight to Manhappiness. I helped him with directions around my old stomping grounds and gave him some tips on where to go shopping for clothes and school supplies. I loved getting to use my Portuguese and it felt great to welcome a Brazilian to the U.S.!! After helping him find his ride to campus, I drove to Moundridge to my in-laws and crawled in bed with Emma. It was after midnight when I arrived. I just stared at my two sleeping girls and felt so happy. We had had a great trip, but I was grateful to be back with them again! Emma was excited to see me the next morning, but Adri just started crying when I went to pick her up out of her crib. Emma told me she had started calling Grandma Mama, so it didn't take her long to forget me:) After a day of getting used to me, Adri was almost back to normal! I couldn't get enough of the girls. I just wanted to hug them and keep touching them! They, on the other hand, were so happy with Grandma and Grandpa that I probably could have been gone another week and they would have been just fine!

No comments: